photo NavFB_zps01db7b1c.png photo NavTwit_zps4138f1c0.png photo NavIG_zps71c268ba.png photo NavPin_zps557b34c7.png

Friday, December 26, 2014

A Different Type of Christmas

I always feel very fortunate to be the person I am, to come from the family I come from & to have the material items that I have. I am in no way wealthy, or even "comfortable" but I know that if I need help with a utility bill or want to consider furthering my education, I can get that help & I have the option to think about more school. I am a very lucky person to have a roof over my head, money in the bank to pay the bills & the occasional extra dollar or two for a Dr. Pepper.
That is why when Christmas rolls around I honestly get very stressed out. I can't afford to buy all the presents that I want to buy for my amazing family & friends & those same amazing people don't actually NEED anything.. Why am I stressing to buy things I can't really afford for people who are just as fortunate as myself?
Well this year my family made a much needed change! 
This Christmas my family & I decided to buy no presents for each other: except for the young kiddos of course. Instead the focus was on sharing a warm, delicious meal & great conversation. The money that is normally spent around the holidays went to much greater places. My students & I created over 100 cards for hospitalized children, my mother & I "adopted" two foster children & fulfilled their Christmas wish lists, & other family members donated toys & money to the local Youth in Need shelter.
Now I am not saying that this different type of Christmas is for everyone & I don't even know if this will continue to be our new tradition but the lack of stress I felt this year and the joy of giving to those who really need it... It is an irreplaceable feeling.
If you are feeling charitable here is the link for Cards for Hospitalized Children: Cards for Kids
This is a great, year round program that distributes cards to kids in hospitals all over the country!
This is the Ambassadors for Children link where we "adopted" foster children for Christmas but they have many programs! Have an old prom dress? Donate it so it can be reused! They accept new infant clothing as well! And many other programs! Ambassadors for Children
I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas.
Do any of you have any unique holiday traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment